Saturday, March 16, 2013
How is the battery life of the…
…is probably the questions I've been ask the most when it comes to my phone reviews.
What people really mean is: "How long does the battery last before the phone needs to charged again"
I can totally understand that this is an important issue but I never really know how answer it?!?
Here's the problem: The standby time depends on COUNTLESS factors, it can be extremely short but it can also be quite long, depending on what you do with the phone, what the settings are, what the (external) conditions are.
Here are SOME factors that influence the "battery life":
- Screen brightness. Is it set to minimum, maximum, auto brightness or something in between?
- Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, 3G or 2G data connection. Are the on or off? Are they only on when used?
- Signal strength. How good or bad is your Wifi / 2G / 3G signal? Does your phone have to "fight" all the time to get a reception or is the signal strong?
- Any kind of push services: Are you updating data constantly? Mails, Whatsapp, weather forecasts, facebook, twitter, etc.?
- What are you doing with your phone? Are you watching high-res videos? 3D-gaming?
- Is your phone going into a "deep sleep" when not in use or is some app maybe waking it up regularly?
- How many charging cycles has the battery gone through, has it developed its full potential, yet?
Bottom line: All these thing and probably many more factors have a MAJOR influence on how long a charge will hold, I am SURE I can drain a battery in an hour but it might also last several days, always depending on the circumstances.
So, what do I tell people when being asked about the "battery life" of a phone? I really don't know!
What's "normal usage" to me might be completely different from what's "normal usage" to somebody else, my Wifi / GSM / 3G signal strength might be completely different from yours, etc.
Do you see my dilemma?